Scattered across the hills in the Fujian province, the Hakka Tulou are colossal multi-story fortified villages, predominantly in doughnut shapes. More than just empty castles, they were the epitome of traditional communal living, with hundreds of people living in close proximity. We will explore a few authentic Tulou, still occupied by real villagers (with chickens running around) and stay overnight at one of the Tulou to experience authentic Hakka food and hospitality.
We will avoid the crowded, commercialized Tulou’s that typical mass-market tours visit and of interest will be:
- The history and evolution of Tulou, exploring them in their many forms (they are round and can appear square in shape as well).
- How the architecture and interior layout of Tulou provides a functional and comfortable living environment to the Hakka people for hundreds of years
- The ingenious defense system of the Tulou, such as the anti-fire gate or underground escape tunnel.
- Meeting point Sheung Wan. Take public tour coach to Shenzhen North train station (approx. 1.5 hrs. including immigration)
- High speed train to Zhangzhou (First class seats – approx. 3.5 hours)
- Chartered van to the Tulou area in the mountains (approx. 2 hours)
- Explore Taxia village and check in to the tastefully refurbished Tulou guesthouse
- Traditional Hakka dinner inside Tulou guesthouse. (D)
- Visit an underrated modular style Tulou that has a unique architecture style
- Explore Nanxi Tulou cluster, well-preserved round Tulou including Tulou ruins
- Explore Chuxi Tulou cluster, one of the biggest Tulou with interesting exhibits showcasing the Hakka culture
- Take a short hike (10 mins) and watch the sunset over the village in the valley, a million-dollar view.
- Overnight at a refurbished guesthouse (same one as day 1) (B+L+D)
- A picnic breakfast in the mountains with beautiful surround scenery.
- Short hike in the mountains (approx. 1 hour) and visit tea plantations on the way
- Learn about family tea making process
- Lunch - leave for Zhangzhou by chartered van (approx. 2hrs)
- Return on the high-speed train from Zhangzhou to Shenzhen (first class seats approx. 3.5 hours)
- Private limousine transfers from the Shenzhen North Station to Hong Kong. (B+L)
Who can sign up: You will need a valid visa to China and a passport with at least 7 months validity. You will also need your own private travel insurance valid for the trip.
What’s Included in the Tour
- Coach to Shenzhen train station, high speed train to Quanzhou.
- 2 nights in boutique guesthouse (DOUBLE OCCUPANCY)
- Private chartered minivan for local transport
- Meals (Day 1 D, Day 2 B+L+D, Day 3 B+L)*
- High speed train Xiamen to Shenzhen, limousine transfers to Hong Kong
- All Drinks (water, soft drink, alcoholic) and Desserts
- Chinese Visa
- Travel Insurance
- Laundry and telephone bills
Cancellation and refund policy
- In case of bad weather such that train/bus services are cancelled, the trip will be postponed or if the trip has to be cancelled you will receive a refund.
- If there are insufficient attendees, the trip will be cancelled and full refund.
- The tour is nonrefundable in all other situations
- If you are late for the trip by more than 5 minutes, we will not wait and there will be no refund as this is a scheduled coach from Hong Kong to Shenzhen.
REGISTRATION BY 5 May: NO REFUNDS